Based on the amount of emails, texts and phone calls we have received after the BC's Restart Plan press conference on May 6, 2020, it is clear that there are a lot of people who are anxious to start playing ball. Unfortunately there weren't many specifics given on when and how this restart plan is to happen. The Province will provide their recommendations to the City and the City in turn will evaluate when to re-open the fields. We have been given assurance by the City that they will provide us information on a timely basis in order to plan out our games. There is also the issue of how games will be played once we are given the go-ahead to start playing again. NSA have provided their guidelines as to how the games are to be played when restrictions are lifted while SPN is waiting on the recommendations of the Provincial Health Authority before they recommend anything.
All in all, we will endeavour to keep everyone apprised of news as we receive it from the respective authorities.
The City has moved forward with additional closures and are cancelling all bookings for the month of May to meet the Chief Medical Officer's directive for social distancing and complying with gatherings of less than 50.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates when we have additional information.
The City of Chilliwack has cancelled all bookings at outdoor playing fields and will be issuing credits or refunds to user groups who had previously booked field space.
League Executives will contact team reps with a status on league fees refunds once it has been determined the how long the season will be postponed.
The BC Centre for Disease Control is encouraging groups of less than 50 people to engage in their recreational and leisure activities while practising common sense approaches to prevent infection and transmission.
At this point we have not cancelled any games as they typically involve less than 50 people at each diamond (with the exception of the 2-Pitch League which has postponed their season).
The Executives of the Jolly Miller League and the Wildlife League are continuing to monitor the situation and will follow the recommendations of the Public Health Authorities and the City of Chilliwack if there are further restrictions.
Please check back here daily as we will endeavour to stay on top of the Public Health Authorities recommendations.
At this point we will be continuing with our practices and games as normal unless advised by the Health Authorities. Please be vigilant in your hand washing and perhaps it may be best to acknowledge the other teams members with an elbow touch or just a cheer at the conclusion of each game instead of shaking hands. We will continue to monitor the situation and will advise if anything changes.